PMI Agile Certification or Scrum – What is the Difference?
Jean Steinmetz (CCPM, PMP, PMI-ACP), who wrote the Cheetah Agilebok, says she gets the “Agile vs. Scrum” question from almost everyone she speaks with about PMI’s Agile Certification (PMI-ACP).
According to Jean – “This is a common question since the Jan 2012 launch of PMI’s Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) certification. PMI-ACP is about ALL agile methods/principles/practices; Certified Scrum Master (CSM) knowledge will not be enough to pass the PMI-ACP.”
Lets look at the Differences:
1. PMI-ACP includes various Agile methods used including Lean, XP, TDD, Crystal and more. A percentage of Agile practitioners use SCRUM while others use XP as well as various Agile methods. CSM on the other hand covers only one method, SCRUM, in complete detail.
2. PMI-ACP requires 1500 hrs of Agile project experience & 2000 hours of general project experience; CSM does not require any experience.
3. PMI-ACP is a rigorous exam (similar to the highly acclaimed and valued PMP). PMI expects about 70% will pass the exam; CSM, broadly speaking, is a no-fail exam.
4. Recognition and Brand Awareness: PMI-ACP is advocated by PMI (The world’s largest project management advocacy body with huge global recognition); CSM is advocated by Scrum Alliance which is a smaller (and more niche) body.
5. PMI-ACP exam is administered all over the world in various test centers; CSM is offered at fewer locations and the exam administration itself is nowhere near the standards set by PMI.
What is the better choice? It depends…
SCRUM is the better choice:
1. If you have no work experience, your only choice is Certified Scrum Master (CSM).
2. If your employer is using SCRUM methodology & wants you to do Certified Scrum Master (CSM), then it is a better choice.
PMI-ACP (Agile) is the better choice:
3. If you have more than 3 years of work experience & you are looking for career growth and ability to apply & customize Agile principles & practices, then the best option is PMI-ACP.
4. If you want to learn about the Agile values, principles & practices and be able to apply them to real life scenarios & integrate in a world of command & control, then PMI-ACP is a better cert.
Need more information – Ask Jean – 888-659-2013 or email: email@example.com
Become Agile Certified – Cheetah FAST
- Everything is included – you do not need to purchase any other material.
- You use the Cheetah Agilebok to help you pass Cheetah Fast.
- Three weeks, online – about ten hours per week. Your Cheetah instructor is just a click away.
- 99% Pass Rate.
- You do not need to be PMP certified to become a PMI-ACP.
- You can use this training to satisfy continuing education requirements for many other credentials.